Version date: April 2021
Scope and application
This Privacy Statement applies to the IFC Alumni Network site https://alumni.ifc.org/login/ (“Alumni Site” or “Site”), communications, surveys and other Alumni Program services (“Services”). The Alumni Site is hosted by our service provider, PEOPLEPATH, INC (“PEOPLEPATH”), who is acting as a data processor on behalf of the International Finance Corporation (“IFC”). The Alumni Site is a private Site available only to current and former employees of IFC and is designed to maintain a long-term relationship with you and IFC.
There are many reasons we have an interest in a long-term relationship with you. For example, we may want to rehire you or receive candidate referrals from you, or to do business with you and/or your future employer(s). Also, we hope the IFC Alumni Program and this Site will be beneficial to you by making it easy to stay connected with IFC and your former colleagues.
You may stop the processing of your personal data at anytime, either by opting out of the Alumni Program during registration or at any time after that. For more information about discontinuing the processing of your personal data, please see the section below entitled, How can you update your personal data?
If you use the Services, you are consenting to your information and other data you submit through the usage of the Services being collected, transferred, shared and otherwise processed and retained by IFC, other members of the World Bank Group, as well as third-party service providers, such as PeoplePath. Your personal information will be collected and used only in accordance with the terms of this Privacy Statement (which includes the Cookie Statement).
This Privacy Statement may change from time to time so please check back periodically. If we make material changes to it, we will provide notice through our Services, or by other means, to provide you the opportunity to review the changes before they become effective. If you object to any changes, you may delete your account (by sending an email to email@example.com with the message “Please delete my account”). Your continued use of our Services after we publish or send a notice about our changes to this Privacy Statement means that you are consenting to the updated Privacy Statement.
The Alumni Site is a private Site available only to current and former employees (“alumni”) of IFC. Please do not give out your username or password to anyone. If you know of an alumnus looking to get access, please ask them to register at the Site. In addition, please respect the privacy of other members and do not give out personal data obtained from the Site to anyone.
Personal data you voluntarily provide us
The Alumni Site collects personal data when you directly give it to us, such as, when you register. During registration and profile setup, we require that you provide your name and email address. To the extent that IFC has information relevant to the creation of your Alumni Site profile, that information may be automatically added to your profile at this Site. However, this information will not be shared with other members of the Alumni Site until you have accepted this Privacy Statement. When you do accept this Privacy Statement, your name appears in the Directory and is visible to other members of the Alumni Site.
You have the option to expand your user profile to include a wide range of additional information, including photo, postal address, current occupation, industry, education, skills, and personal and business interests. By providing complete and accurate information in your profile, you enable us to customize your experience and help you get the most from our Services. However, please supply only information that is relevant for the stated purposes of this Site.
We also collect personal data in the following situations:
- correspondence between you and the Alumni Site including the tracking of clicks, open rates and bounces;
- information you post on the Alumni Site, such as, resumes, job applications, event RSVPs, comments on news articles; and
- responses to online surveys or forms that we use for IFC feedback, research and product improvement.
Please keep in mind that whenever you voluntarily disclose personal information online – in the optional fields in your profile, through email, or in areas of the Site – that information could be accessible to the rest of the members of the IFC Alumni Network and may be made public. Please do not post or add personal data to your profile or elsewhere on the Site that you would not want to be publicly available.
Information we collect automatically
When you use the Alumni Site, we collect information about your visit and usage of the Services. Some of this information is collected using a third-party tool, Google Analytics. That information may include your IP address, your operating system, your browser ID, and other information about how you interacted with the Site. We use this information to improve our Services and the user experience as well as network management and security.
Personal data provided by IFC
IFC may verify that you are an IFC alumnus/a or current employee by matching your registration information with data previously known about you by IFC. This information may include, but is not limited to, your name, email address, last position, locations, expertise or skills, and university/college.
The Alumni Program and related Services will use your personal data for the following purposes:
- Primarily, to provide our users with a customized experience on our Site, including personalization services, such as suggested contacts, news, events and interactive communications.
- To enable other users to search for and locate you via the directory.
- To research and analyze our users’ demographics, interests and behavior to better understand and serve our users and improve our Site and its offerings.
- To contact you periodically with communications about IFC announcements, seminars, events, memoranda, publications or employment opportunities with IFC, other World Bank Group institutions or partners, which we feel might interest you, unless you ask not to be contacted. You will have an opportunity to opt out of receiving further messages.
- To get your feedback and viewpoints through polls and surveys conducted by us and others. You are not obligated to respond to polls and surveys and can choose the information you provide.
- To share with other internal Company systems for a variety of reasons including to contact you with professionally relevant information.
- To fulfill our legal obligations, including in connection with potential or actual legal proceedings or investigations.
- To provide you and other members of the Site with resources for professional/career development and related support.
- To maintain and improve the Site, including auditing and monitoring its use so as to understand Site users’ demographics, interests, and content preferences.
- To provide information requested by you, including in connection with opting in for our blogs.
- In connection with the administration of events.
- To analyze whether event invitations and other emails sent by IFC have been successfully sent or have been opened.
- Other uses in the ordinary course of our business that are consistent with the Services.
We may also use data for other purposes, which we would always describe to you when we collect the information. However, we will not rent or sell your personal data to others.
When you register and set up your profile, your name and the other information you provide will be placed in the Alumni Directory. Unless you request otherwise through the opt-out mechanism provided on the Site, your name, profile picture, current and past professional data, degrees, and social media links will be accessible to other members of the Alumni Site. The rest of the information you provide for your profile will not be shared with other members of the Alumni Site until you provide consent. You can modify these settings here: https://alumni.ifc.org/user/short-profile/edit. Once you provide such consent, all the information in your profile will be in the Alumni Directory and will be accessible to other members of the Alumni Site. You have control over this access through the privacy settings in your Profile. Click on the profile picture in the upper right corner of any page on the Site and select “Privacy”.
Other than with Alumni Site members, we will share your personal data in the following situations.
- With our service providers, including but not limited to PeoplePath for corporate alumni software platform and services and its contractor, Amazon Web Services (AWS], for its data center facilities, which are in the United States of America.
- With business partners where this is necessary for the purposes related to the Alumni Program.
- With advisors, including attorneys and accountants, to help us with legal, accounting and security requirements.
- In the following circumstances: (i) to enforce the terms and conditions for use of the Alumni Site, including this Privacy Statement; (ii) to protect and defend our rights and property; (iii) to protect the interests of IFC or others; and (iv) to permit us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
- To a third-party acquirer if PeoplePath sells or liquidates all or any part of its business or assets. In that event, any acquirer will be subject to our obligations under this Privacy Statement and you will have the same rights with respect to your personal data.
We do not rent or sell any of the personal information we collect through the Site, nor do we share such information with any unaffiliated third-party to use for such party’s own marketing purposes.
We implement security safeguards designed to protect your data, such as data encryption in transit and at rest. We regularly monitor our systems for possible vulnerabilities and attacks. However, we cannot warrant the security of any information that you send us. There is no guarantee that data may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our physical, technical, or managerial safeguards.
Your user account information is password-protected so that only you, PeoplePath and IFC have access to this personal information. Do not divulge your password to anyone. Also remember to sign out of your account and close your browser window when you have finished using the Site, particularly if you share a computer with someone else or are using a computer in a public place like a library or Internet cafe.
Our Site may, from time to time, contain links to other sites. If you follow a link to any of these sites, please note that these sites have their own privacy statements and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these statements or sites. Please check these privacy statements before you submit any personal data to these sites.
You can access, edit or correct the information in your profile at any time. Log in to the Alumni Site and click on Profile. If you have forgotten your password, click on the Forgot Password link and we will send an email to your primary email address. Finally, you can ask us to deactivate, delete or transfer your personal data, but then you may not be able to access any members-only areas of the Site.
We will retain your personal data only as long as you have a user account on the Alumni Site. If you decide to delete or transfer your user account, PeoplePath will retain your data in data backups and logs for 90 days after we receive your request to delete or transfer, or longer if that is legally required.
By using the Alumni Site, you are deemed to understand and consent to the collection and processing of your personal data in the United States or elsewhere.
What are cookies and clear GIFs?
Cookies do a lot of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improve the user experience.
The cookies used on this Site have been categorized on the basis of the categories found in the ICC UK Cookie guide issued in April 2012. A list of all the cookies used on this Site by category is set out below.
What if I don’t want cookies? By using our Site, you agree that we can place cookies on your device as explained below. If you want to remove existing cookies from your device, you can do this using your browser options. If you want to block future cookies being placed on your device, you can change your browser settings to do this. For more information on managing cookies see www.allaboutcookies.org/manage-cookies. Please note that current “Do Not Track” initiatives are not recognized by our Site.
Please bear in mind that deleting and blocking cookies will have an impact on your user experience as parts of the Site may no longer work. Unless you have adjusted your browser settings to block cookies, our system will issue cookies as soon you visit our Site, even if you have previously deleted our cookies.
Turning off cookies will also prevent any web beacons from tracking your user activity on our Site. The web beacon will still account for an anonymous visit, but your unique information will not be recorded.
What cookies do we use on the Alumni Site?
- Strictly necessary cookies – These cookies are essential in order to enable you to move around the Site and use its features, such as accessing secure areas of the Site. Without these cookies, services you have asked for cannot be provided. Examples of strictly necessary cookies include session-based cookies which are deleted when you leave the site that maintain the state of your current activities and persistent cookies (cookies that remain on your machine between visits) for functionality such as “keep me logged in” or remembering your preferred language.
- Performance cookies – These cookies collect information about how visitors use a site; for instance, which pages visitors go to most often, and if they get error messages from web pages. All information these cookies collect is only used to improve how a site works in general for all users as well as specifically for you. Performance cookies used by the Site include Google analytics tracking cookies, used to track analytics of site use, including pages viewed and whether the individual is a new or repeat visitor.
- Functionality cookies – These cookies allow a site to remember choices you make (such as your username, language or the region you are in) and provide enhanced, more personal features. For instance, a site may be able to provide you with local information or news by storing in a cookie the region in which you are currently located. These cookies can also be used to remember changes you have made to text size, font and other parts of the Site’s pages that you can customize. They may also be used to provide services you have asked for such as watching a video or commenting on a blog. We may use information collected from our cookies to identify user behavior and to serve content and offers based on your profile. In some cases, we pass this information on to others within IFC for marketing or analysis purposes. In most cases, we will not be able to track individuals by name. Only if a user is a registered user, will we associate the cookie information with a named individual. These cookies cannot track your browsing activity on other websites. They don’t gather any information about you that could be used for advertising or remembering where you’ve been on the internet outside our Site. Functionality cookies used by the Site include PeoplePath tracking cookies to authenticate the user by log-in details and remember language selection, and Social login cookies to remember when someone has previously used social log-in.
If you have any questions regarding this Privacy Statement, please e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to us at the address below.
International Finance Corporation
2121 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20433
United States of America
More Information and Data Privacy Office
For more information on IFC’s approach to personal data protection, including how to directly contact or request information from IFC’s Data Privacy Office, please visit ifc.org/privacy.